8 Movie Projects Awarded Southeast Asia Co-Production Grant by Singapore Film Commission
Eight feature-length film projects helmed by Singapore and Southeast Asian producers have been awarded the inaugural Southeast Asia Co-Production Grant. Projects were shortlisted from 26 applications received during the call-for-proposals in August 2019.
According to Singapore’s Infocomm Media Development Authority, each feature length film project will receive up to S$250,000 ($183,000) in funding for the production.
Of the eight projects, three are from Indonesia, three from Thailand, and one each from Malaysia and Vietnam. Five Singaporean producers will be helming the eight projects of which Fran Borgia (Akanga Film Asia), Jeremy Chua (Potocol) and Lai Weijie (E&W Films and Phoenix Film) will be working on two projects each.
Venice-winning Thai producer Mai Meksawan (Manta Ray) said to Hollywood Reporter, “The budget for my new project is very big for a Thai film, at around S$800,000 ($586,000), so this money means we can now meet that budget.”
“It’s a very ambitious project and now we’ll be able to start next year. It is a great help to us, considering the economy in Thailand is not that good right now.”
The motivation, according to grant organizers, is to encourage “film talent in Singapore and the Southeast Asian region to jointly produce quality stories for the world.”
The grant requires projects to be directed by a Southeast Asian (non-Singaporean) filmmaker and they must involve at least one Singaporean and one other Southeast Asian producer.
- Anatomy of Time (Thailand): Director: Jakrawal Nilthamrong (Thailand), Producers: Mai Meksawan (Thailand) Panuksmi Hardjowirogo (Singapore), Chatchai Chaiyon (Thailand)
- Arnold Is a Model Student (Thailand): Director: Sorayos Prapapan (Thailand); Producers: Anthony Chen (Singapore), Tan Si En (Singapore), Donsaron Kovitcanitcha (Thailand).
- Autobiography (Indonesia): Director: Makbul Mubarak (Indonesia); Producers: Jeremy Chua (Singapore), Yulia Evina Bhara (Indonesia).
- Glorious Ashes (Vietnam): Director: Bui Thac Chuyen (Vietnam); Producers: Jeremy Chua (Singapore), Tran Thi Bich Ngoc (Vietnam).
- Regretfully at Down (Thailand): Director: Sivaroj Kongsakul (Thailand); Producers: Lai Weijie (Singapore), Pimpaka Towira (Thailand).
- Tiger Stripes (Malaysia): Director: Amanda Nell Eu (Malaysia); Producers: Fran Borgia (Singapore), Foo Fei Ling (Malaysia), Yulia Evina Bhara (Indonesia).
- Vengeance Is Mine, All Others Pay Cash (Indonesia): Director: Edwin (Indonesia); Producers: Lai Weijie (Singapore), Meiske Taurisia (Indonesia), Muhammad Zaidy (Indonesia).
- Yuni (Indonesia): Director: Kamila Andini (Indonesia); Producer: Fran Borgia (Singapore), Ifa Isfansyah (Indonesia).